The Lake Charles Pilot organization was formed in 1926 after the construction of the Calcasieu Ship Channel. The first ship to travel the Calcasieu Ship Channel had a Lake Charles Pilot aboard. The ship was called the Sewall Point, it was a fertilizer cargo ship. The first pilot was Captain George D. Jessen. There have been 35 Pilots since inception and currently there are 18.
A Board of Commissioners appointed by the Governor oversees the Lake Charles Pilots. The Board of River Port Pilots are Commissioners and Examiners for the Calcasieu Waterway. The board includes:
1 Business/Industry representative
1 Lake Charles Port representative
1 Lake Charles Pilot